Goblins and witches and ghouls… OH MY! As Halloween approaches, Pinterest is filled with all kinds of edible crafts you can create with your kids. In this recipe, you can create little witches made out of popcorn (this recipe could also be adjusted to make tiny pumpkins!).
Makes 8 (4-inch) popcorn balls
Cook Time: 5 mins
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 2 min
3 quarts popped popcorn
16 chocolate wafer cookies
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1 box lime gelatin dessert mix
optional green food color
8 chocolate ice cream cones
3/4 cup chocolate chips
orange sugar sprinkles placed in a small dish
jelly bean, candy corn, licorice string decoration
- Spread a sheet of wax (or parchment) paper over a work surface and place the wafer cookies on it.
- Spray a large mixing bowl with cooking spray and place popcorn (make sure to remove unpopped kernels) inside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows and gelatin dessert powder until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. If desired, adjust color with a drop or 2 of food color. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and press firmly to form into 8 balls. Place balls on 8 of the wafer cookies. Press candy decorations into popcorn balls to form eyes, nose and mouth.
- Place chocolate chips in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and heat for 10 seconds. Stir chocolate to aid melting. Repeat as needed until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate onto the top of each popcorn ball. Press a few licorice strings into chocolate to form ‘hair’.
- Dip cone edges into melted chocolate and then into orange sugar sprinkles. Place on remaining wafer cookies to form witches hat. Place hats onto popcorn balls. Allow chocolate to set for about 45 minutes before serving.
- Serve or seal individually in plastic wrap for storage.
This recipe is courtesy of Jolly Time Popcorn. You can find your favorite variety of Jolly Time popcorn at your local Bashas’ stores. For more tasty popcorn recipe ideas please visit the Jolly Time website.